Friday, September 10, 2010

RE: First Amendment and the News

I saw the movie today in class and was very intrigued with the system dealt with the Supreme Court and how a female’s presence was conveyed. I think it is very valuable as a female to have someone of the same gender representing my voice and beliefs. Not only do I find it necessary for there to be females but also a wide variety of races as a whole to better understand what society is interested in and what values means most to those individual. The first amendment is very tricky but also very necessary for anyone who wants to express who they are as an individual and not have any legal ramifications to follow due to someone else’s opinion of who they are and what they believe. As for the news about the individual who wants to burn 12 copies of the Quran as symbol of sympathy to the victims of 9-11; I found this to be a bit outrageous. This individual is knowingly doing something that will indeed jeopardize the lives of so many innocent people. Here is where the first amendment becomes questionable. Do you allow someone to voice their opinion when you know it will be a violent effect on so many people lives? I’m not sure how I feel about this situation…..it all reminds me of how one individual can start so much hatred amongst an already conflicted world. Not to mention what type of backlash this will cause between the two cultures. This to me seems like a cry for media coverage to shine light on something that is significant to their culture and this is a bogus way of doing so!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment